Sunday, July 24, 2011

Buzzalogical question and answer




I’ve always wanted to do this and frankly tonight just felt right, so here we go. I am going to answer a question I get asked/emailed on a regular basis.

Where can I buy your ceramics?

Ahhh well, do you live in Portland? Hahaha, ahhhhhhhh….. Well that sort of is the case, I only sell at local shows and markets or at least that was the case up until now. But before I go there allow me to digress and explain why I am not an online seller.

Once many years ago, I had some of my ceramics for sale online and after many months only one cup sold, and to a dear friend who wanted to support my ceramical carrier. However when only your friends and family buy your art it’s not the same feeling of success. You know what I mean so I’m not even going to explain.

So no other work sold after that and soon after all my etsy listings expired. I know there where probably ways to increase my online sales but posting was a bit of a hassle to begin with and I don’t like pottery sitting around in boxes. These pots need to be in homes, in hands, with a piece of toast or a coffee beverage.

I then decided to sell exclusively at local venues until I got enough outside interest to reopen my online shop. But now, as it happens I have been getting a few shout outs and it seems that day has finally come around. BUT Oh NO! I’m going to grad school and won’t have the time! Hang on, don’t despair, college grads are just as hard up for cash as any undergrad. So thankfully for all of you, necessity will force me to keep panhandling my wares and start selling on etsy again.

Tid Bit: I also prefer selling my work in person because I like meeting and seeing the people who are buying my work. I love to hear about how they use my dishes each day, where they are from and share stories. But I most enjoy explaining to my customers that if they don’t use their newly purchased pots like the creator intended them for (eating and drinking), I WILL NO LONGER SELLITH MY GOODS TO THEE. Its true! I have threatened and scolded those who confess or have been outed by a friend of not using my pottery for food or drink but “decoration”. The thought of my work collecting dust on a windowsill just makes me shutter, so if you don’t use them for food consumption keep that under wraps.

13 comments:

Allison Kruskamp said...

Hi Michelle,

I really enjoy your designs, check your blog often, and hope you don't mind that I spoke about you in my blog, allybuilt.

Continued luck in grad school, Allison

Mitzi Davis said...

Hi Michelle,

I stumbled upon your blog/images and I've gotta say that I really enjoy your work! I especially <3 your "bookcape 3" mug on your flicker. If you do get your online up and running let me know!
Where are you interested in going to grad school? I am a ceramics tech and have plans to move onward in a few years as well.
Nice meeting you and keep me posted!
~Mitzi Davis

Michelle Summers said...

Allison, I don't mind at all and thanks for following my blog and work ;)
~M

Michelle Summers said...

Mitzi, I actually am leaving for grad school in August, to UMN in Minneapolis. It's a great place to go for potters, you should check it out.
~m

Sarah said...

I'm very happy to hear that you're planning to sell your work online again. I love your work and I think that one of your mugs would be just perfect for drinking my morning coffee out of at work. Good luck and grad school!

Wendy said...

Interesting... and funny. I keep thinking I would have better luck selling locally but can't... seem... to.... make... it ... happen.

Good luck to. Great work indeed.

Michelle Summers said...

Wendy, I looked at your site and I think at the right venue you would do really well, but also start getting more people following your work and spreading the word that your awesome.

marie-louise said...

Mmm, nice reading!

FetishGhost said...

Love,love,love your work!

Renee Ershbock said...

when I read this post, and the part about cutting people off if they don't actually use your pots... I had to wonder if that is why you said you were horrified that I made a little cubby in my hutch for all my favorites of your pieces... well, I just have to assure you, just in case the thought was floating through that head of yours... yes I use them.. and lots... and the cubby is my way of hiding them from all my roommates ;) I do have some I will let them use, but some are all for me!

Michelle Summers said...

lol, Renee. It was a thought and I am glad to hear they are apart of your daily life and not forever tucked away accumulating dust.

Renee Ershbock said...

no dust, no way...

Sonia said...

Hi Michelle,

I'm so happy to hear that you'll be selling some of your work on Etsy! We met at a Portland craft fair years ago and from time to time, I've followed your work and wondered how I could purchase something. I absolutely love your stuff and I'm sharing it on my Facebook page. Happy crafting! :-)